Features of the choice of children's sliding beds, the pros and cons of the model
High demands are placed on the sleeping place for the child. A suitable option is a children's sliding bed, which has a number of advantages over classic models. When choosing, it is worth considering design features, safety of use and product design.
Advantages and disadvantages of the model
A sliding bed is a structure consisting of several blocks, which, after transformation, increase the product in size.
This model has several advantages:
- Space saving - even double beds when folded take up a bit of free space in the room.
- Comfortable operation - the berth is put forward with the help of roll-out rollers. Even a child can do this.
- Functionality - retractable models are often equipped with niches and drawers, which can be filled with linen, toys or seasonal clothes.
- Safety - low height, the sides will protect the baby during sleep.
- Environmental friendliness - only materials safe for the health of the child are used for the manufacture of beds.
- Strength - provided by the use of innovative mechanisms, modern production technologies.
- Universality - children's beds sliding on growth are suitable for children of different age.
- A variety of design solutions.
- Long service life of a berth, thanks to the system that allows the bed to "grow" with the child.
However, along with the advantages of such designs have several disadvantages:
- The extension of the bed may scratch the floor. The bedside rug will help to solve the problem.
- If the design involves two sleeping places of different heights, the child sleeping upstairs will have to carefully go down and up so as not to touch the sleeping person below.
- Equipping many designs with a plywood bottom. Such material contributes to the accumulation of moisture, does not let air through. Since the kids still do not know how to fully control their nightly needs, “accidents” are not ruled out. To exclude absorption of moisture and an unpleasant smell, it is better to choose models with a rack basis.
- In active children's games, the bed mechanism may be damaged.
The disadvantages of this design are not so many. Each type of bed has its own characteristics, which can be regarded as minor flaws or advantages: dimensions, shapes, the way of moving apart.
Varieties of beds
Depending on the age of the child, a bed of a certain size and shape is selected. Compact classic models with additional elements (for example, with a chest of drawers) are relevant for kids.Older children will enjoy multi-colored beds with an unusual design of the sides (carving, decorative elements). Children's transformer beds can take various forms and change the functional purpose:
- A sliding bed for a child with bumpers around the perimeter is suitable for children from 0 to 10 years. The extension is located at the feet. Boards on all sides are a necessary safety measure. As they grow older they can be dismantled. The initial size of a sliding bed for children is 60 x 120 cm. After transformation, the dimensions can increase to 70 x 140 cm or 70 x 160 cm. Such models can be equipped with additional elements: small chests of drawers, drawers for storing toys, a changing table.
- One of the universal options is a bed-vrastayka for a child from 3 to 12 years. It consists of two parts. The moving part is located at the feet. Models for children of this age are 80–90 cm wide. The initial length is 120 cm and the maximum is 180 cm. For the convenience of storing bedding, the model is equipped with a drawer.
- There is a bed for two children, however it is more correct to call it a roll-out bed. Outwardly, it resembles a low attic bed. The second berth is located under the top and extends either from the front side or from the side. In this model, there may be a third tier, but very low. Under the lower berth often drawers are located. Such a sliding bed for two can be equipped with a special automatic mechanism that allows you to adjust the height of the lower berth.
- Children's sliding sofa allows you to beautifully and functionally decorate the room. In the daytime, it takes up minimal space, and can be laid out before going to bed. When folded, the sofa is suitable for sleeping a baby up to 3 years old, and for an older child it should be moved apart. In such models, a sliding mechanism is used to increase the length of the berth. Sofas for children are pulled out from the side of the side walls, and pillows that play the role of a backrest are laid on the extended parts of the frame and become part of the mattress.
A children's sofa as a sleeping place is not recommended for children under 12 years old in order to avoid problems with the spine.
The dimensions of the bed should be selected according to the area of the room, the age of the child. If necessary, furniture is made to order, so that the berth clearly coincides with the available free space.
For sliding sofas and beds, various types of transformation mechanisms are used: book, euro-book, accordion, cascade. The book is considered the most reliable option: in it the base rises, and the back - reclines. Euro-book - an improved version using springs for transformation. In the mechanism of the accordion, the back is laid in a plane, forming a long berth. The cascade suggests that part of the berth is located under the main platform and extends if necessary.
Materials of manufacture
Quality beds for children are made from natural materials. The ideal option for the case is wood. Wooden beds are available in a wide range of colors. Models with a lamella base made of natural wood can withstand weight up to 100 kg and provide a comfortable rest without harm to the spine.
Metal - a symbol of reliability and long life. A sliding metal children's bed with a base of wooden lamellas is not only strong, but also meets hygiene requirements, since the metal does not absorb moisture and odors. The main disadvantage is the high risk of injury. Since metal is a hard material, it is rarely used for the production of children's furniture. Therefore, such a model is appropriate only for an older child and not too mobile.
More affordable products are made from chipboard and MDF. These are budget materials that will not harm the child, but their durability and life will be less than that of natural counterparts.
The sliding mechanism is the element that experiences the greatest load during operation, so it must be made of high-quality metal.
To make the soft part of the bed, standard upholstery fabrics are used. When choosing a model, it is better to give preference to options made of natural wear-resistant materials. It is important that they lend themselves well to cleaning.
Design and color
The color of the bed should be in harmony with the interior. A children's bed with a sliding mechanism can be made in any colors. For girls, it is better to choose gentle colors: turquoise, pink, cream, coral. Boys will be more comfortable in more saturated colors: blue, green, blue. Universal for the nursery is considered white.. It is appropriate in the design of the room where heterosexual kids live.
Since children love bright designs, many manufacturers make beds with a colorful combination of sidewalls and the main frame. The legs can also be in contrasting colors.
Bright colors should not be annoying, as this negatively affects the emotional state of the child.
In form it can be classic models or complex designs in the form of cars or carriages. Sofas and headboards can be decorated with decorative elements in the form of the sun, animal faces. It all depends on the preferences of the child and his age. Themed beds are suitable for children up to 14-15 years old. Teens usually choose classic models or high-tech style. The side parts of the bed can be decorated with art carvings or scenes from popular cartoons.
Criterias of choice
Before choosing a children's berth, you need to determine the basic requirements for it:
- since the children's body is more susceptible to the environment, the furniture should be made of natural materials;
- paint and varnish materials used in surface treatment should not contain toxic substances;
- structural elements themselves must be carefully sanded;
- fastenings should be checked for safety and reliability.
Reliable manufacturing factories strictly comply with all requirements for product quality. Therefore, well-known brands are more in demand.
In order not to regret your choice, you need to be critical not only of the quality of the model. It is necessary to take into account all the nuances of the operation of the future bed. When choosing it, it is important to pay attention to the following recommendations:
- It is necessary to take into account the age category of children for whom the bed is selected. The type of construction, dimensions and color performance will depend on this.
- It is worth giving preference to models with rounded details in order to avoid childhood injuries.
- The clips with which the transformation takes place, it is better to choose the widest. They will not scratch the floor or leave deep dents.
- The retractable part of the structure should be equipped with clamps that will not allow it to independently move on the floor.
- You should pay attention to the quality of the frame. It must be durable.
- It is better to prefer a bed with a rack base.
Do not forget: the quality of sleep depends on the mattress. Therefore, it is better to select orthopedic models with a moderately rigid structure that will reliably support the spine in the correct position.
Children's mattresses can be springless and spring. The first fillers are:
- Coconut coir - used to make the toughest mattresses, ideal for newborn babies.
- Polyurethane foam is a modern classic, an artificial material for creating medium hard mattresses.
- Latex - characterized by increased elasticity, such models support the spine well.
Spring mattresses are not acceptable for a baby bed. Combined models combine several fillers. The most popular combination is latex and coconut coir.
A sliding bed for children is an ergonomic option for a children's room of various sizes. A variety of colors, a wide range of shapes will allow you to choose a model for any age. The ability to transform and increase the bed extends the life of the furniture.