How to safely dry upholstered furniture
Do stains, greasy, stale and faded upholstered furniture spoil the atmosphere at home? Tired of hiding a once beautiful sofa or chair under the covers? Want to to clean chairs or ottomans, but are afraid to spoil expensive upholstery? And right do it! Delicate fabric is easily damaged by improperly selected cleaners. means, after which the product may not be recoverable. And exit there will be only one - the purchase of new interior items.
- How do absorbed dirt and dust affect health?
- What stains are most often found on furniture?
- Cleaning furniture at home with folk remedies or calling craftsmen?
- Safe cleaning products for upholstered furniture
- Is deep cleaning of upholstered furniture possible with a home vacuum cleaner?
- How to clean upholstered furniture and not damage the upholstery?
How do absorbed dirt and dust affect health?
Household dust. Her without hesitation, they whisk it off surfaces and practically knock it out of carpets daily. What is this substance actually and does it carry danger to the well-being of people and pets?
Dust - Saturated "Cocktail" of microscopic particles. Sand grains, tiny droplets of fat, tissue fibers, spores and pollen of plants, mold, ticks and parasitic microorganisms, heavy metals and other chemical compounds. This the list is just the beginning. Scientists who decided to delve deeper into the question, found out: for the year one room of 50 m² accumulates more than 20 kilograms of dust! And all this “miracle” is capable of inflicting serious damage to health.
- The children's body is hypersensitive to allergens, therefore cleaning furniture in the house where the kids live is required. Canadian chemists conducted a study and proved: there is a lot of lead in household dust. And this is a heavy metal that can cause bronchial asthma and even oncology. The child often has watery eyes, he complains of sore throat and itching in the nose? The reason may not be the common cold that comes to mind first, but the same dust.
- Older people also react sharply to microparticle irritants. Especially for asthmatics, people with weak lungs and the gastrointestinal tract. 7-10% of dust is of plant origin: pollen, seeds, mold spores. They cause a choking cough. And the statistics are not optimistic. Every year, over 5,000 lives end precisely because of asthmatic attacks. Poisoning, infectious diseases, the development of parasites inside the body are additional “charms” that dust carries. The conclusion in this case is the same: cleaning upholstered furniture at home is a necessity.
- People with chronic illnesses and immunocompromised people can be seriously affected by dust particles. Skin irritations (urticaria), conjunctivitis, general weakness with fever and reddening of the throat sometimes do not need to be treated with special drugs. It is only necessary to get rid of the dirt flying in the air and settling on objects.
What stains are most often found on furniture?
The most accurate and pedantic owner will not be able to boast that he has never resorted to dry cleaning a mattress, armchairs or carpet.Because spots that are accidental or appear from time and long use of objects, it is sometimes difficult to independently remove. Here are the most common types of household pollution:
- Oily. Appear more often from food and everything connected with it. Culinary delights in the kitchen are not only mouth-watering lunches and dinners, but also vapors that “sit down” everywhere. Or another situation familiar to everyone - an evening in front of the TV for an exciting sports broadcast or series. How to get along without an impressive bowl of popcorn, a bag of chips or a plate of sandwiches? But the result will not keep waiting: greasy spots on the upholstery.
- From ink and paints. Today, when everyone has a mobile gadget, pens are still in use. And with them there are incidents - leaks at the most unexpected moment. Kids are very fond of creativity. The canvas base for artwork easily becomes a light base of a sofa or mattress. Colorful drawings with felt-tip pens, pencils or permanent markers (!) Are a problem. In half the cases, dry cleaning of upholstered furniture is indispensable.
- Coffee Shops. Reception is long pleasant conversations over a cup of aromatic drink. One awkward movement, and a brand new upholstery made of natural or eco-leather already has a brown stain.
- Wine-fruit-chocolate pollution - from the same "guest" and "children's" series. You can add to them the favorite entertainment of the kids with chewing gum, lemonades of all shades of the rainbow, cakes and other goodies.
Serious stubborn. This category of spots is the most unpleasant. They are most often “age-related” - from a few months to a couple of years. The substance that caused it penetrated into the deep layers of the canvas, damaged the fibers or the base of the material. To deal with such consequences on their own is a matter of course losing. Dry cleaning of furniture at home or in a professional laboratory is the only way.
Cleaning furniture at home with folk remedies or calling craftsmen?
Worldly wisdom helps out in many cases. And people got rid of spots from old times, sometimes quite successfully. Some pollution really lends itself "Treatment". Here are a couple of life hacks that may come in handy:
- Poured black coffee on the upholstery? Ordinary soapy water or Fairy solution and a clean rag will help. Just do not overdo it with the intensity of the fight against divorce. Otherwise, the mark only grows.
- Emotions from a goal scored beer splashed on the sofa? Call table vinegar for help. 1 dessert spoon per 800 milliliters of water - the solution is ready. Gently moisten the surface, pat it dry with a dry cloth, wait until the material is completely dry.
- Children colorfully and tastefully “painted” the carpet - a standard family situation. There are 3 options:
- A cloth with isopropyl alcohol and a couple of free minutes.
- Hairspray is an unexpected but effective tool. Spray it on “ink paintings”, then wipe the area with a clean cloth.
- Acetone will remove traces of felt-tip pens and markers. The secret is in smooth movements with a napkin from the edge of the pollution to the center.
- They cut a finger, nose bleeding revealed - everything happens. Disinfectants and medicines will save your health, and red spots disappear from plain ice water.
- Did you find traces of red wine on the couch or sofa after the party? Moisten the dirty sector, sprinkle an impressive handful of salt on the stain, wait until it dissolves and dries. Then remove the residue with a vacuum cleaner.
- Dried chewing gum is not such a terrible scourge as it seems. Cover the “sticky sweetness” with ice, and then simply remove with any non-sharp object so as not to damage the upholstery. A spoon or a plastic kitchen skimmer will do.
But there are spots that folk remedies do not care. Old pollution, deeply penetrated into the fibers, can no longer be affected by soda, vinegar or soap suds. To remove them, you need special formulations, sometimes toxic. Therefore, the services of experienced masters in the cleaning of carpets and furniture in Moscow are so in demand.
Safe cleaning products for upholstered furniture
Modern manufacturers of tissue cleaning products and other materials carefully monitor the environmental friendliness of products. Even concentrated preparations for stains are produced in accordance with standards (including DIN EN ISO 9001: 2000). All products are hypoallergenic, safe for health, sensitive to materials.
Most well-known, trusted and reliable brands:
- Seitz is a chemical company based in Germany. Founded over 125 years ago, it supplies the market with a complete line of products designed for professional dry cleaning of furniture, fabrics of all types. The assortment is divided into pre-cleaning compounds (POLISOL RAN, POLISOL LIGHT); machine amplifiers (NOVACLIN SUPER P, PRECLIN P for stain removal in perchlorethylene); means for akvahistki (FRANCOLAN CARE, FRANCOPAL MAXX); stain removers for various types of pollution (QUICKOL, CAVESOL, COLORSOL, BLUTOL S and others).
- Johannes Kiehl KG is another German brand specializing in a series of stain removers, powders, shampoos and deep cleaning products for textiles, carpets and carpet. All products are biodegradable, with reduced carbon dioxide production. Often used by specialist cleaners: Carp-Deta - to remove water-soluble contaminants from upholstery and flooring; ARENAS®-exet 1 - for removing oily and oily sag; ARENAS®-exet 2 - to remove traces of felt-tip pens and ink. Kiehl's Carp-Acryl is used in the deep, gentle cleaning of carpets. Cope with all kinds of spots. The composition contains polymer dispersions that form compounds with dirt particles, which are removed by a specialized extraction machine after processing.
- Chemspec is an American brand known for furniture cleaning products. The products are suitable for organic and inorganic contaminants, fresh and deeply stubborn. Innovative formulas with minimal chemical aggressiveness are approved for use in everyday life, health and children's institutions due to hypoallergenicity. Chemspec products can be used for exclusive furniture with upholstery made of expensive fabrics and genuine leather. The main thing is to choose the right composition from the proposed ones: Colorfast Extraction Upholstery Cleaner, Dry Fabric Cleaner, Enz-All, Leather Cleaner & Conditioner. In case of doubt, it is better to seek the advice of experienced Malina technologists in Moscow.
- Prochem is a manufacturer with factories based all over the UK. Furniture cleaning products have gained popularity because of their versatility, safety for the environment and humans, sparing impact on materials. Products with low acidity, which include Fiber & Fabric Rinse, are recommended for use on wool, linen and even silk fabrics. Upholstery will preserve the brightness of the color, gain freshness and a pleasant aroma. The range of Prochem includes compounds for the skin (Prochem Leather Cleaner); eliminate paints and oils (Citra Boost); for stains (Neutral Pro Spotter, Stain Pro, Coffee Stain Remover, etc.).
- Taski is a company from Switzerland that has established itself as a manufacturer of eco-friendly delicate products. Most sought after: Taski Tapi Gum for chewing gum removal; Tapi Spotex 2 for traces of juice, ketchup, tea, wine, blood; Tapi Spotex 1 against residues of asphalt, oil, grease or shoe polish.
Is deep cleaning of upholstered furniture possible with a home vacuum cleaner?
The suction power of a standard household vacuum cleaner usually does not exceed 200-250 watts. Models are not designed to remove serious contaminants. Daily cleaning can be trusted with them. But it is worth remembering that more than 40% of the dust after such cleaning returns from the unit to its original place with exhaust air. There is no need to talk about removing old stains, giving upholstery and carpets brightness, freshness. Only specialized equipment for dry cleaning furniture can cope with complex tasks.
Professional machines are divided into types:
- Vacuum cleaners for wet and dry cleaning (vacuum cleaners). Powerful units with multi-stage filtration, with different nozzles are designed to remove including liquid dirt.
- Carpet washing machines - extractor machines. The scope is from dry cleaning carpets at home to tidying upholstery. The principle of operation of the cleaning technique is the injection of the washing solution under pressure into the pile of the fabric and the simultaneous extraction of the residual composition with the vacuum pump along with contaminants. Models of well-known European brands Cleanfix (Switzerland), Santoemma (Italy), Numatic (England) and American Ultimate and Tennant are suitable for delicate woolen and synthetic fabrics.
Steam generators are used for gentle stain removal of different origin. Jet with t at 160 ° С under pressure in 4 atmospheres easily copes with stubborn dirt, greasy areas on the seats and armrests of sofas and armchairs; brightens tissues, eliminates urine odors, mold and dust; processes areas with complex structure (corners, curly items, hard to reach places).
How to clean upholstered furniture and not damage the upholstery?
If furnishings are decorated with durable synthetic material, you can safely use soap solutions, chemicals and brushes. But when the upholstery is made of velvet, velor, satin, fine wool or natural silk, delicate care is needed. Owners of exclusive, including antique furniture can not do without the help of proven cleaners. Otherwise, expensive things are easy to spoil to such an extent that they will not be subject to restoration. You need to remember about the safety of stain removers, solvents and other means for the health of adults, kids, pets. Information about the compositions in open sources is not always enough. Therefore, applying for dry cleaning of upholstered furniture and an extensive consultation of Raspberry specialists with extensive practical experience will be useful.